1. We probably have the COOLEST President and Provost ever.
2. Westminster is constantly being compared to Hogwarts. Our acceptance letters are even mailed by OWL.... (just kidding...)
Not quite sure on the resemblance...but we DO have a bridge and a quidditch team.
4. If you live in Olwell, Behnken, or Stock you have a direct view of the sand volleyball games all summer long.
Thats right... you don't even have to leave your apartment to check out the hotties bumpin' it on the court.
5. We actually look forward to Finals week.
Midnight breakfast prepared by the Professors, free massages in Shaw, animals in the Student Life Office, free food, snacks delivered personally by the Dean.
6. Robert Redford spoke at the 2013 commencement.
7. SugarHouse Pub and Maxwells
Walk into the Pub any night of the week and you're likely to find multiple Westminster students and employees. Not only is it the perfect place to grab a drink with friends and watch the game, but it is within walking distance of the college if you're coming back from one of the cute restaurants in Sugar House.
Also, Maxwell's recently announced that they will be opening a new location underneath The Draw. Another reason to save the cab fare and stay in 'the hood' for the night.
8. No class on Fridays.
.... well, for most of us.
9. Our Campus is GORGEOUS.
10. Westminster is the ONLY wet-campus in all of Utah
Alcohol is allowed in the 21+ residential halls and at all events for those 21+.
(That's right, we're liberal AND progressive.)
11. Our mascot is a mythical creature
12. 'GREATEST SNOW ON EARTH'
Even though Westminster is located within 30 minutes of 7 of the top snowboarding/skiing resorts in the world, we often like to bring the party to campus. Not only are we home to over 20 olympic athletes and Rail Jam, but we also have this awesome program called Winter at Westminster that students from other schools can participate in as well.
13. Location, location, location!
Westminster is located about 10 minutes from downtown (City Creek Mall, Gateway Mall, Energy Solutions Arena - Jazz Games, Trolley Square, The Capitol, The Temple in the winter), 20 minutes from gorgeous hiking trails, and 30 minutes from 7 of the top snowboarding/skiing resorts in the world. Westminster is also only 5 minutes from the University of Utah which means there are 30,000 other students our age living right next door! Being in close relation with the U also means that we can attend their football games in the fall and take advantage of dual-enrollment if we need a class that Westminster does not offer.
14. Our Aviation program
Westminster has one of the best Aviation programs in the country. Don't believe me? Ask Manny.
15. Our Award Winning Newspaper, The Forum
Second Place at ACP Chicago
17. Not to brag, but we throw some pretty awesome parties...
Everyone looks forward to the annual Halloween Dance and parties off-campus are always the best during orientation week.
[[You know theres a party going on when you see a group of people on bikes with backpacks full of PBR riding down 1300 E on any given night or when you receive a Facebook invite from "The Stadium"...]]
18. Twilight concerts
The ONLY place to be Thursday nights during the summer. This years line-up: Grizzly Bear/Youth Lagoon, Ludacris, Kid Cudi, King Chip, Empire of the Sun, MGMT (among others).
Plus, its only $5 per show.
19. Salt Lake City was ranked the 14th healthiest city in the United States back in May by NerdWallet.
Full-time Westminster students stay fit with free gym memberships to HWAC, access to group fitness classes, and outdoor rec trips. Students and faculty alike have also pushed for healthier foods in the cafeteria - including, gluten-free options.
20. The best chai lattes are served on campus
Ask for the soy pumpkin chai latte with lite ice next time you're in the Bassis Center in the fall. Promise you won't regret it.
22. Print for FREE
Anything FREE is awesome when you're in college... just be careful not to get stuck behind the nursing students when you're printing.
23. Our NAIA sports teams
We have more than 250 student-athletes participating on the Westminster basketball, cross country, skiing, snowboarding, volleyball, soccer, golf, lacrosse, and track teams.
We also have an AWESOME student section...
24. Cool Professors
How many of your friends at other universities/colleges can tell you that they've taken shots with their Professors in Spain? Have gone to coffee with an advisor on a Sunday afternoon? Have had the Dean call their personal cell phone to ask them why they aren't doing well in algebra? Or, have their Professor as a friend on Facebook?
Do they even know what their Professor looks like?
25. Westminster continues to help our alumni find jobs and network years after they've graduated.
"More than 90% of Westminster grads report that they are either employed or enrolled in grad school within five months of graduation" (here). That statistic is largely due to the fact that the Career Center and Westminster Professors are dedicated to helping current and past students succeed post-grad.
26. Sugar House is the quintessential college town.
Cute/hip restaurants & pubs, young/friendly residents, safe, everything is within walking distance, theres more than 3 froyo shops within 5 miles, affordable housing, a great running park, the dollar theater, student discounts, a farmers market in the summer...
What more could a twenty-something ask for?
One of the newest restaurant additions: Flatbread Pizzeria
Students and faculty at Westminster LOVE the outdoors. If you go to school at Westminster, expect people to look at you funny if you say you don't like to camp or have never shot a rifle.
29. Financial Aid/Scholarships
All students are taken into consideration for academic-based scholarships upon applying for Westminster. Yes, its normally pretty pricey to go to a private, liberal arts college but Westminster has multiple (legal) ways to cut the cost.
30. May Term
One month abroad with your fellow peers and awesome professors earning FREE credit for graduation.
If you have been on May Term, you know how amazing it is. You know there are no words to describe it.
If you haven't been yet...what are you even doing?
But if you must stay...
Take 2-4 free credits on campus for the month. Choose from tough classes like: Coffee in History, Sex in the Brain, Communication on the Golf Course, and The History of Harry Potter.
31. Highly respected degree
"You go to Westminster? Wow. That is a GREAT school."
You have NO idea how many times Westminster students hear this upon first meeting someone.
And, its not just word of mouth...we've got the rankings to back it up:
- Rated #13 in The Princeton Review for Quality of Life in 2011.
- The Princeton Review also considers Westminster to be one of the 'Best Values' for undergraduate education.
- Kaplan/Newsweek recognized Westminster in 2006 as being one of the "most interesting schools" in America.
32. Oh yea, we go to school to learn too
- 70 academic Programs
- Average class size: 18
- 11:1 student-to-Professor ratio
Philosophy: Professors serve as mentors, not sages.
33. There are over 50 student-run organizations and clubs in ASWC
34. Westminster Study Abroad Program
35. Westminster supports our troops!
ROTC students who choose to attend Westminster and choose to live on campus, are awarded full room and board grants. Those who choose to live off campus receive a $2,500 grant. Westminster also accepts the GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Bill.
The Westminster Military Association is also a prominent support group on campus for those associated with the United States Military.
36. The (fairly) new science center
Meldrum, our newest building on campus, opened two years ago. The Platinum LEED certified building (meaning it has over 54 environmentally friendly features) is four stories and contains state-of the-art facilities, integrated lab classrooms, research labs, and faculty offices. Each floor has beautiful reclaimed hard-wood floors, cozy study spaces with white boards, and interactive exhibits. Another cool fact about Meldrum is that Westminster designed the building so that light streams in from every angle possible - making this the perfect place to study in between classes. (more info here)
37. Our 40-foot climbing wall
38. Everyone's favorite Wild Wednesday: Mr. Westminster
Nominated Westminster men compete for fun in order to fundraise for local, non-profit: The Rape Recovery Center.
39. We get to enjoy all four seasons
High of 90-100 in the summer, around 60-70 in the Spring/Fall, and low of 20-30 in the winter.
40. Westminster students are pretty awesome too...
CLASS OF 2016 Profile:
- 47% from Utah, 53% from out of state
- 22 students (4% are international)
- 32 states and 15 countries are being represented
- 12 are valedictorians
- 55% were in the top 25% of their graduating high school class
And if you are interested in what current students have accomplished, you can check us out on the Westminster Student Achievement Board
41. Sometimes we get to have class outside.
It is wonderful.
42. Westminster is a dog friendly campus
|Triton, Kelcee, & the Griffin|
Westminster LOVES dogs.
43. Westminster's got the hook-ups
The concierge desk in Shaw has discounted tickets to movies, games, and more!
44. Vegas is only 6 hours away
(And if you get desperate, theres always Wendover...)